The Advanced Technology Education Center (ATEC)
Kankakee Community College
LEED Gold Certified
Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) incentive for $133,048
Project Highlights and Results
- Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection and information technology engineer for a new state-of-the-art learning center intended to serve as an integral part of students’ learning experience.
- New building design features classrooms and functional, green technology labs including wind, solar thermal, solar photovoltaic, and electrical simulation labs.
- Engineering features include:
- Alternative energy sources for space conditioning
- Rainwater capture and harvesting
- Variable ventilation/demand CO2 control
- A dedicated outside air system to provide fresh air at floor level
- A geothermal/ground source heat pump system for heating and cooling
- Natural ventilation
- High-efficiency lighting used throughout the building with external and internal shading to help maintain a comfortable learning environment.
- Incorporates renewable energy generation through solar photovoltaic and solar thermal cells on the roof, and the use of nearby wind turbines for electrical power.
- Projected to require approximately 30% less energy than a baseline ASHRAE 90.1-2004 building. This project is currently on hold.
Click here to view the full project profile