Lake Shore Campus
ASHRAE Illinois Chapter Excellence in Engineering Technology Award
Project Highlights and Results
- ASHRAE Excellence in Engineering Award; First-Place: Chapter.
- Completed 8-year phased project while building was occupied.
- Design solution to convert the building to classroom and office spaces addressed the following significant challenges:
- Building holds National Landmark Status
- Building listed on National Registrar of Historic Places
- Poor comfort and indoor air quality with no central cooling
- No central system to introduce outside air
- Poorly controlled steam heating system
- No horizontal ductwork at all in the building
- City of Chicago ventilation standards would have required exhaust risers and ductwork too large to fit within building spaces.
Click here to view the full project profile