In addition to a Dual Temperature System Study, Boiler & Chiller Plant
Schematic Design Report, and DHW Plant Replacement Report, Elara Engineering has completed the following MEPFP infrastructure retrofit projects for an occupied 39-story high-rise condominium building:
- New Generator,
- MUA Replacement,
- FACP Upgrade,
- Chiller Replacement,
- Boiler Plant Replacement, and
- Expansion Joint Replacement
- New DDC System
Constructed in 1989, The Elm at Clark (1122 North Clark Street; Chicago, IL) includes a 6-level parking garage, sundeck, outdoor pool, and hospitality room within 396,000 square feet.
In addition to securing $82,539 from utility energy efficiency incentive programs to offset equipment installation costs and creating a project implementation prioritization plan that reduced overall project costs, Elara’s innovative engineering design team successfully provided the following to increase operational flexibility, improve occupant comfort, and enhance system performance, reliability, and efficiency:
- New chiller plant, condensing boiler plant, and open protocol expandable building automation system
- Enhanced dual temperature changeover control that significantly reduces changeover time between heating and cooling modes (from days to hours) aimed at improving occupant comfort while maintaining protection of new equipment.
- New MUA incorporating a summer dehumidification mode.
- New non-proprietary central fire alarm control panel (FACP) and devices with for less cost than replacing the existing proprietary FACP alone.
- New expansion joints to proactively replace existing joints that were beginning to fail.
More information about this and other Elara projects can be found here.
With the successful procurement of $689,107 in incentives from Commonwealth Edison, Nicor, and Peoples Gas in 2019, Elara Engineering has now achieved a cumulative total of $6,122,050 of earned incentives since 2009.
Elara’s efforts to secure these incentives helps clients offset costs associated with the installation of energy efficiency improvements. The Energy Efficiency Programs through ComEd, Peoples Gas, and Nicor offer non-residential Illinois customers a wide range of incentives for the installation of energy efficiency improvements and the purchase of energy efficient equipment.
Incentives are only awarded after a detailed application process and successful completion of the designed project. Elara’s knowledgeable and highly experienced Incentive Procurement Team works closely with its clients and program representatives during the assessment and design phase of an energy project. Specific application process components include:
- Checks of project and equipment eligibility based on program guidelines,
- Development, submittal and tracking of the pre-approval application,
- Completion of the project design,
- Reviews of the installation of selected equipment,
- Submittal of the final application once the project is complete; including, required measurement and verification data for custom projects,
- Meeting with program representatives at the job site for the final approval of the application, and
- Verification of rebate check amounts.
Through its relationships with program representatives and with over a decade of participation in incentive program round tables and conferences, Elara has the ability to maximize the incentive amounts for our clients and streamline the incentive application and approval process.